Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Night Before Christmas - Texas Style

The Night Before Christmas - Texas Style

 


'Twas the night before Christmas, in Texas, you see.
From forest to mountains to flatland prairie.
Wrapped up in their quilts, my family asleep,
Their eyes were closed tight, and breathing so deep.

We had all our stockings, hung there, on the wall,
Empty, but hopeful, that Santa would call.
And me? I was up watching the Christmas tree lights
When all of the sudden, I stood up in a fright.

I saw through the window, as bright as the sun,
A loaded down pickup, comin’ on at a run,
It sparkled and glistened in the clear Texas night,
With three dogs, riding shotgun, that made such a sight.

He called ‘em by name: “Butch, Heidi and Wyatt,
There'll be plenty of riding; now hush and sit tight."
The driver wore Levi's and a shirt that was red,
And a light-grey felt Stetson was perched on his head.

As he stepped from the dually, he was really a sight,
His beard and his moustache were curly and white.
As he burst in the door, my family awoke,
And me? I was speechless. Not one of us spoke.

He looked at our tree, and our lights; gave a nod
And said, “But y’all know – tonight is really how God
In His love sent His Son to save you from sin
Eternal redemption for you He will win.”

Then softly, and lowly, he led "Silent Night,"
And “Joy to the World,” then he said: “Good night.”
As he stepped to his one-ton, my son moved his jaws
And asked in a whisper, "Are you Santa Claus?"

"Am I the real Santa? Well, what do you think?"
And he smiled as he gave a mysterious wink.
Then he leaned out his window and hollered back with a drawl,
"To all across Texas: Merry Christmas, Y’all!"


No comments:

Post a Comment