Sunday, May 1, 2022

Restored to Follow - John 21: 15-19

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Last week I attended a post-Covid respite retreat for pastors. I somewhat hesitate to call it a retreat because retreats give the image of golf courses, swimming pools, and adult-grade slurpee machines. This was far from restort-level R&R. From Monday through Wednesday, the days were filled with times of worship, prayer, and study as we were encouraged in our vocations as pastors. We were reminded that God has called us, imperfect sinners though we are this side of heaven, to service in His Kingdom among His people; that the same Gospel we preach to God’s people is the same good news that we need to hear and receive for ourselves: that the same Jesus, who died for you, He died for us as well. It was the simple joy of having a pastor place his hands on our heads, one by one, and pray a blessing over us in the name of Jesus with the encouragement to “Depart in peace.”

When I signed up for the respite retreat, I actually told the registrar that I was doing OK, that we hadn’t been hit as hard as other congregations and pastors, and that if there was limited seating and someone else needed the spot, I would gladly surrender my place to him. I was glad I didn’t get that phone call. I didn’t realize just how much I needed the respite. I left Wednesday afternoon in peace, refreshed and renewed and thankful for the teaching of Pastor Fleming and Doctor Yanhke and the preaching of Pastor Mesch and for having a little time alone to simply think and reflect on the good news of Jesus.

Luther once wrote, “Prayer, meditation on the Scriptures and testing makes the theologian” – not Seminary classrooms. That testing, the German word is anfechtungen, that’s what happens when we live the life of discipleship, under the cross of Christ. It’s the crossroads where faith and life intersect and sometimes collide – that’s what makes and seasons pastors. To be honest, we should probably change that to say simply “disciples,” because it’s true for laymen, too. In faith, we see Jesus with His hands extended toward us in His mercy and grace; with our eyes we see the world around us, sometimes far, far removed from anything that seems to resemble the will of God. That’s where we, as God’s people, live. And we pastors, called by Christ to serve as His undershepherds, stand with you in that intersection, armed with prayer and the Word of God and we pray with you and for you as you utter, “Lord, I believe…help Thou my unbelief.”

And when you do that, you stand alongside Peter. Boy, you talk about a disciple who was full of himself. One minute, filled with wisdom that only comes from the Holy Spirit as he rightly makes the great confession of Christendom: “You are the Christ;” the next, filled with arrogance that only comes from the Old Adam within, Peter dares to put himself between Christ and the cross and tell Jesus, “You’ll go down there over my dead body.”  One minute, Jesus declares him to be Petros – Rock; the next, Jesus rebukes the Rock as satan. One minute, Peter pulls his concealed carry sword, chopping off the ear of one who does not listen that Jesus is the Messiah; a short time later, Peter flees from a servant girl who identifies him by his Galillean accent.

If it is prayer, meditation on God’s Word and testing of faith in life that makes the theologian, Peter fails miserably.

Let me ask you: what kind of congregation do you think would want such a pastor? Would Zion want such a man? Think of the characteristics of a good pastor – would you include arrogance, or brashness, or being called out as satan as characteristics you desire in your pastor? Did you include apostacy – the denying of Jesus – as a necessary trait? No…of course not. No church would want such a man to be pastor. No pastor would want to be on a ministry team with a man like that as a team mate.

Which is what makes this text from John 21 so incredible and remarkable. No congregation would want a man like Peter the Denier…but Jesus does.

In a remarkable, three-fold way, Jesus speaks to Peter: Twice, Jesus asks Peter, “Do you love me so that you are willing to completely give yourself up for me?” Jesus is asking if he is still willing to die for Jesus. The irony isn’t lost on Peter; he can only answer with “Yes, Lord, I love you like a brother” – not I love you enough to give myself up for you. The third time when Jesus asks Peter, he uses Peter’s words: “Do you love me like a brother?” Three questions; three reminders of three denials. Can you imagine the guilt that Peter was carrying, knowing and remembering what he had done to Jesus? Can you imagine his shame after once boasting, “I would rather die with you than deny you,” knowing that he turned tail and ran into the darkness? It’s no wonder that St. John notes Peter is grieved when Jesus asks the third time, “Do you love me?”

Jesus loves Peter too much to leave him in his shameful grief. It’s as if Jesus is saying this: Peter, I not only love you as a brother, I love you so that I am willing to give myself up completely for you. I took your denial into myself. Where you ran into the darkness to hide, I stood in front of Pilate to be condemned. Where you swore you did not know me, I prayed, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.” Where you were not willing to die for me, I was willing to die for you. And, Peter, so that you know that my death for you was sufficient, I was raised to life again on Easter. You have now seen me, not once, not twice, but three times. And where you once denied me three times, I am now calling you back to ministry – not once, not twice, but three times. You know what it is to be forgiven, Peter. Now, go…feed my sheep and faithfully deliver this forgiveness to them as well.”

And in that moment of simplicity, Peter is forgiven, restored, and enabled to stand in the stead and by the command of Jesus Christ, who died for Peter and all those whom Peter would later serve as pastor.

Here is the beauty and power of this text for men of God who dare to stand in the stead of Jesus in the Office of the Holy Ministry. Jesus calls men like the thirty of us who gathered at the shore of Lake Dallas last week. We were from different backgrounds, serving different kinds of communities, with differing talents and abilities. Some were more worn than others, some nearly broken from the anfechtungen they have had to endure the last few years, some from Covid, some from being sinners among sinners. Just as Jesus takes a fallen man like Peter, calls him back to ministry, and uses him – with all of his faults, weaknesses, human desires, idiosyncrasies and quirks – for His glory, so also He uses us. With all of our failings, and foibles, and sins against both God and man, Christ holds out His hands in blessing and He calls us to faithful service. “Go…feed my sheep.” In the Office of the Holy Ministry, “pastors who have been forgiven much, love much.”

Jesus gives Peter a simple, final instruction: follow me. Peter will – he will follow Jesus from Galille to the mount of ascension, and then from there to Jerusalem, through Pentecost, and then out to the rest of the world. His message will be Christ and Him crucified. He will call people to repentance; He will call people to faith in Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit. Peter won’t be perfect – he will blow it when influential people from Jerusalem try to make him toe the Jewish party line regarding the necessity of living under the Law that had been fulfilled in Christ. It will take a public rebuke from St. Paul to correct Peter’s thinking. But Peter will remain faithful. He will follow Jesus. He will follow Jesus even to his own cross. Tradition says Peter, when arrested and sentenced to crucifixion, declared he was not worthy of dying in the same manner as the Lord, so they crucified him upside down, inverted, on the cross instead. The words of Jesus, spoken to Peter as part of his restoration, will come to fulfillment.

There’s a wonderful order to this: Jesus says “Follow me.” The Church, which is the body of Christ, remember, also follows Jesus. Generation to generation, we follow using the footsteps of Peter and the apostles, and our parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends and neighbors, and yes, the pastors who have gone before us. We follow them through the cross of Christ to the Font, from Font to Table. But Jesus won’t have us stay here. He has us go out into the world, still following Him and His footsteps.

Follow Him in peace and with great joy. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment