Sunday, October 10, 2021

Baptismal Inheritance - Mark 10:17-22

 

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Jesus is teaching confirmation class today. It’s a review of the second table of the Law which speaks to our relationship with our neighbor. Don’t murder, commit adultery, steal, slander, or fraud anyone and honor your parents. These are the specific examples of “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

The young man who speaks to Jesus says he’s kept all of these since childhood. We might nod along with that assessment. After all, at face value, we’re pretty good at keeping the commandments, too. Murder – nope. Haven’t even been in a fist fight. Stealing? Well, there was an unfortunate incident involving some Christmas cards at church when I was a kid, but that was an accident – they were on the same table as “free – take one” items. Adultery? You won’t find any scarlet letter on my shirt, thank you very much. Fraud? Never! Why, I did a little project for a lady who wanted twelve boxes. I gave her a baker’s dozen, just in case one broke. Honor my parents? I call my mom weekly…well, maybe every other week.

That’s my list. You have your list, don’t you? You can go down the list of commandments, checking them off, one after the other. We’ve been doing these things since we were kids. We’re certainly not like those other people we see on the news…

That was the young man’s logic who ran up to Jesus. Unlike the scribes, pharisees, and teachers of the Law who were intent on tripping up Jesus and catching Him in a snafu of legality, he asked a sincere question. “What must I do to inherit eternal life? I’ve done all these things. What am I missing?” From his perspective, he feels justified – self-justified to be sure, but still, worthy of receiving this inheritance of heaven. I’ve done this all, Jesus: thumbs up, right?

He’s expecting an attaboy, a blessed assurance that he’s on the right track. Then Jesus turns the tables. Well, the Table, really, from the Second Table of the Law to the First. The Second Table has to do with our relationship with our neighbors; this is the horizontal realm. But the First Table has to do with our relationship with God; this is the vertical realm.

Jesus does this subversively. Elsewhere, He teaches the summary of the first three commandments as, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind.” A god is anything you fear, love and trust. Jesus, who is able to see into this man’s heart, knows that man’s god – lower case g – is his wealth. Jesus loves the man – He doesn’t want to see the young man perish into eternity by chasing after a false god. Subversively, Jesus teaches the man something about who his god really is. He calls the man to repentance, to stop worshipping the false god of his wealth and love the Lord your God instead. “Go, sell all you have and give it to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven.” It’s as if Jesus is asking, “Where does your fear, love and trust rest? Is it in me, or in your wealth?” The man’s actions serve as the sad conclusion: “Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.”

When you ask a law question – what must I do? – Jesus gives a law answer – here you go. Do this. And the law, in the face of our failures and our shortcomings, always accuses. It accuses doubly so when Jesus strips away any aspect of the Law that we think we can hide from. Love God? Of course I do. No, Jesus says, do you love God more than anything else, fearing and trusting Him above all things. The rich young man realized his god was his wealth, by extension, maybe also his prestige in the community, his reputation, his own name, but his god was not the God who stood in front of him. What must I do? Fear, love and trust God, the true God, not the bank account, more than anything and anyone else. Get rid of anything and everything else that vies for that number one spot. In fact, stop thinking of it as one-of-many; God is one of one. Nothing else comes close.

In reality, if we take that same approach and go back and look at the second table, we realize we’re not as perfect as we first thought. Maybe that struck the young man, also, as he walked away. True, I haven’t taken another man’s life, but I’ve wished ill on someone else, even calling them hurtful, harmful names. Jesus teaches that is just as guilty as physical murder. Even if you never touch the woman who is not your wife or the man who is not your husband, if you even have lustful thoughts in your mind and heart, Jesus says you deserve the Scarlet Letter A of adultery. Even if you never take a penny that does not belong to you, but if you fail to help your neighbor protect and preserve that which is his or hers, you are complicit in stealing. The law always accuses; the law never lets up.

And so the Old Adam tries even harder. It’s part of our selfish, sinful egocentric nature. “What must I do?” Surely, there is something? It’s a loaded question, one we must be very careful of asking. The Old Adam and Old Eve is incredibly selfish and arrogant. We’re number one! Even Bob the Builder taught out kids – we can do it, yes we can! We set ourselves out to be god, or at least, equal to Him. What can I do? Let me tell you…  

Careful…It’s one thing to ask your spouse or your parent, what can I do to make you happy. It’s a whole ‘nother thing if we think we can approach God with our grocery list of good deeds, as if we can somehow negotiate our way into God’s good graces. We’re quick to make our suggestions: I gotta go to church, I gotta give my offering, I gotta be a better parent, I gotta be a better student, I gotta be better in my Bible reading, I gotta pray more, I gotta…” Have you noticed that list always grows? There’s never an end. There’s always something else we think we gotta do:  I gotta watch my mouth, I gotta keep my eyes from wandering, I gotta stop whispering…” The list never ends; the list is never accomplished; the list is never perfected. The list tells the tale.

What must I do? Repent. Repent of the ways we disobey the commandments, both in letter and in spirit. Eternal life is not yours to earn. It’s God’s to give. You know what God wants from you? Your sins. That’s all. When you fear, love and trust Him, you surrender all of your sins to Him. Only He can take them from you. He doesn’t want your perfection, or your best of intentions. He wants your sins. That’s what He sent Jesus for, to be your Savior. Jesus came to trade His perfection for your imperfection. Don’t put Jesus out of a job! He came to take your sins from you. Instead of trying to do better, and then when you fail try even harder – as if you could somehow attain perfection that way – instead, confess your sins. Surrender them all to Jesus: all of the I gottas, the I wouldas, the I couldas, the, shouldas turn them all over to Jesus and trust that His once-for-all death on the cross pays for your sins. You do nothing; Jesu does it all. You have nothing to negotiate with, so out of His great love for you, Jesus speaks for you with His Father in heaven. Jesus says, “My life for his; My life for hers.” The answer to “What must I do to inherit eternal life” is this: I must do nothing, for Jesus has done it all at the cross. At the cross, in His dying breath, Jesus declares: There is nothing left for you to do. “It is finished.”

I started this sermon by saying that the man’s question was an honest one. While it may have been an honest one, it was a misguided question. Go back to the question with me one more time: “What must I do to inherit eternal life.” What must I do to inherit? Answer: you do nothing to inherit anything. Inheritance is something that is given by the head/s of the household to those who in the family. You don’t earn inheritance by something you do. Inheritance is a gift. You don’t buy it, you don’t negotiate for it.

Last Sunday, I watched a baby receive her inheritance. She had nothing to bring, nothing to give, nothing to offer. If she could have asked, “What must I do – what can I do?”, the answer would have been “nothing.” In fact, she couldn’t even come to the font by herself. Her mom and dad brought her. And in the washing of water and the proclamation of the words of the Lord, she received her eternal inheritance.

Inheritance is yours by nature of who you are: a son or daughter. Inheritance is yours by nature of whose you are: a son or daughter of the giver. Inheritance implies family. Inheritance is yours be birthright. When you are born into a family, the inheritance is already yours. But, the inheritance isn’t delivered, usually, until someone dies.

This is what God has done for you in Christ Jesus. In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:3-5).

Your inheritance, your eternal inheritance, is delivered to you through Jesus’ death and resurrection. Last Sunday, that little baby received her eternal inheritance because God, rich in mercy, delivered it to her through the death of His Son, Jesus. You do nothing to inherit it, but you receive it by grace, through faith in Jesus Christ.

Who is your God? Easy. He introduced Himself to you in your Baptism with His Triune name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The sign of the cross was placed on your heart and your forehead in token of being redeemed by Jesus. Through the washing of water and Word, you are made His beloved sons and daughters. So there is no doubt in your mind of your adoption into the family of God through Christ, you are given Jesus’ name. You are called “Christian,” which means “Little Christ.” It’s not something you negotiated with God.

What must I do to inherit eternal life? Nothing. It is yours, by grace through faith. God has declares it; you simply respond in faith: Yes, Lord, I believe.

In the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment