Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Witnessing the Advent of Jesus with John - John 1:1-8, 19-28



Grace to you and peace from God our Father and from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

“Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?” With that question, an individual is sworn into his or her place as an eyewitness in court. His or her task is relatively simple: truthfully describe what it is that they saw or heard in the context of the case at hand. This is called “testimony.” When giving their testimony, witnesses are not to editorialize, infer, or embellish. To borrow from Joe Friday, they are to give “just the facts, ma’am.”

But witnesses aren’t just in court. We witness – that is, we see, observe and hear – all sorts of things all around us, some good and some not so good. We witness the birth of a child; we witness the arrival of family home for the holidays; we witness a powerful storm; we witness the death of a dear friend. And, human nature being what it is, we naturally want to, we need to tell what it is we have seen.

But, as Christians, we are called to be witnesses every day. This question was asked in the high school Sunday school class today: “When has God provided opportunities for you to witness through your faith in action?” When has God provided opportunities for you to witness through your faith in action?

Let me tell you my story of when God provided an opportunity to witness my faith through action. I was standing in line at Ted Drews frozen custard stand in St. Louis, Missouri. It was a blisteringly hot and muggy day. Laura was waiting in the car trying to stay comfortable – I cannot remember if she was pregnant with Alyssa or Alyssa was a baby. I was wearing a T-shirt from my college days that had a Latin phrase on it that meant “Soundness of Body, Soundness of Mind” and it had a pencil sketch that represented the eyes of Jesus, his nose shaped like a cross, and surrounded by a crown of thorns. I was standing there, minding my own business and trying to determine what flavor of custard to get, when someone tapped me on my shoulder. “Excuse me,” he said, “but what does your shirt mean?” Ah ha! A bold witness opportunity for the sake of the Gospel! I turned around and mumbled something about a college T-shirt, intramurals, and the theme of our overall wellness. I turned back around, and started glaring at the menu board. Surely, this guy would see I was busy. It took only a few seconds, though, before he tapped me again. I was about 6’4”, 250 – a good sized man – so I stretched a little taller, turned around and looked down at the man and said, “Yeeesssss?” He said, “But, what’s with the face in the middle?” I deliberately waited about four beats before answering, “It’s supposed to be Jesus.” And brave, bold, soon-to-be pastor Seminarian Meyer turned back around, crossed his arms, and succeeded in being left alone.

Had he been there, John the Baptizer would have been rightly ashamed of me. It wasn’t like I was called before the religious authorities, demanding to know why I was preaching a message they didn’t like. It wasn’t like I had been hauled before a judge demanding to know what I was doing in public. It wasn’t like I was on death row, my life threatened, and our way of life endangered. This was custard; this was a question about a T-shirt.

Here was John, hauled before the priests and Levites and quizzed. “Who are you?” they demanded, presumably to trap him into admitting he was the Christ (which is the Greek word for Hebrew, Messiah). Then they could convict him of blasphemy. Last week I told you that the Baptizer was the last of the Old Testament prophets, saying Jesus was coming. This week, he becomes the first of the New Testament evangelists, the first to be able to say, “He is here!” The Baptizer gets himself out of the way…he is not the Christ, he is not Elijah, nor is he THE Prophet (another phrase for the Messiah, though to be the second Moses). John the Baptizer is the preparer, the one sent to make straight the path of the Lord. He confesses – confess means to repeat back what was told to you already – He confesses that one is coming after him whose sandals he is unworthy to untie. The Baptizer is preparing the way by speaking of the Christ to come. God provided the opportunity – even if it was uncomfortable, standing before the religious authorities – for John to witness his faith in action. By the power of God’s Spirit, John spoke clearly, boldly and directly so that there was no doubt: he, John, wasn’t the Christ, but the Christ is coming and coming soon.

Let’s go back to the question again. “When has God provided opportunities for you to witness through your faith in action?” It doesn’t have to be a moment like John, or even a moment like mine. God provides the opportunity to show faith in Christ in both direct and indirect ways.

Sometimes God gives us such an open, obvious way to share our faith that it’s impossible not to see. But, we chose to ignore the opportunity or not engage in conversation out of fear. We don’t want to be the “religious nut,” or “that guy.” We hide behind the statement, “We don’t want to offend,” but what we really mean is “We don’t want to feel offended when our friends reject the message.” After all, we’re taught not to talk politics or religion. So, we chose to not be the witness because we don’t want to ruffle feathers.

To us, John would speak. And he would call us back to our baptisms and tell us to repent. Repent for not trusting the very Gospel that we are called to share. Repent of denying the very faith that trusts Christ at all times and in all places, except in *that* moment. John would say, “Speak. Be a witness. Be the one who dares to speak of Christ.”

So the Lord gives us those opportunities.

Here’s a direct way: Some friends invite you to go to lunch at a Hooter’s restaurant. You are free in the Gospel to eat anywhere you want, and you know that, but it makes you uncomfortable as a Christian man to be in a place like that. So, without dodging the issue, you say, “I’m not comfortable eating there because it violates my Christian conscience about the role of women in God’s creation. I don’t want that to be my Christian witness.” Here’s another direct way: a friend got back from vacationing in Tennessee and went to see the Creation Museum. As she is talking about her trip with a group of other friends, some of the friends start laughing, “You don’t really believe that old wive’s tale about an angry God who flooded the world, do you?” This time of the year, you’re given a natural point of entrée into a conversation, “Do you know what Christmas is all about?” That’s a direct way to have a Christian witness.

But there are also what I call indirect ways. Perhaps a better word would be subtle, not indirect. You live out the faith each day. In faith, you honor your parents and confess when you sin against them. You live out the faith when you respect your boss or your teachers, even if they are less than kind. In faith, you do not take what isn’t yours but seek to protect the belongings of others. In faith, you helped children who were less fortunate by purchasing them a gift of clothes or toys, done out of love. Your witness is lived out when you pray for the hurting. It doesn’t have to be big, or dramatic, or even John-the-Baptizer-preaching-in-public bold. You live out a life of Christian witness when you change a child’s loaded diaper; you demonstrate Christian faith when you tell your spouse “I love you” and give them a kiss, hug, or just a hand squeeze. You demonstrate Christian witness even when you lovingly discipline your child because you are faithfully fulfilling your vocation as a parent. People see this, and they see your Christian witness, and when they ask “Why do you do that?” You can be bold to witness in Christian faith – “Because of God’s love for me in Christ.”

To be a Christian witness does take one thing: having eyes and ears open, in faith, for those opportunities to be a witness of what you know of Christ and to demonstrate His love through you. And sometimes, it will come at the most surprising and untimely of places.

A couple years ago, I had been to a pastor’s installation service. It was late in the day, the service was long, and I just wanted to get home. I stopped at a Burger King to get a bite. I remember this distinctly: as I took my cross and clerical collar off and put it in my truck cup holder, I literally prayed, “God…I just want to be left alone tonight. I’m tired and hungry and just want to get home.” About five steps from the truck, I saw it happening in slow motion: a man rolled up on his bicycle, leaned it against the wall, and stood there and in that moment, I knew what was about to happen. God was about to answer my prayer with a big, fat “NO.” “’Scuze, me, mister…I’m sorry to bother you. I’ve been riding this bike all day, trying to get home. I think I can get there by sundown, but I just can’t go no further. I’m hungry and haven’t eaten all day. Could you please get me a small burger?” I sighed repentantly, knowing I had just been humbled by God Himself. I bought him dinner and invited him to sit with me. I told him I was going to pray over the meal and asked what he would like to pray for. He said, “Thank God that he sent you.” I smiled and said, “I was thinking the same thing…thanking God that he sent you.” We prayed, ate, and talked. I slipped him a few dollars and we parted company. I never saw him again, and I’ve always wondered, as Hebrews 13:2 says, if that evening I wasn’t in the company of an angel.

We’re called as Advent Christians to be like John the Baptizer, to be prepared to answer when asked. We’re not necessarily called to be missionaries or preachers, but we are all called to answer. This Christmastide, God grant you His Spirit, that you may be bold to answer as a witness for Jesus, the coming King.


No comments:

Post a Comment